When you are experiencing any kind of pain, sleep can be elusive. That is certainly the case with it comes to pain caused by piriformis syndrome, a condition in which the piriformis muscle behind your hip joint irritates the sciatic nerve (we should note that it is not the same as sciatica). A person suffering from piriformis syndrome may experience numbness, tingling, and/or pain down the back of their leg all the way to the foot.
It’s easy to see why that might keep you awake. How can you find relief?
Piriformis Syndrome Possibilities
There are a number of things you can try to lessen the pain and irritation of piriformis syndrome:
- Make sure your mattress provides enough support to help ensure good sleeping posture and spine alignment.
- Sleep on your back or, if you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your knees to keep your spine lined up correctly.
- Take advantage of ice packs, heating pads, or pain patches to try to address the discomfort.
- Try stretching, hip exercises, maintaining proper sitting position during the day, and/or deep tissue massages.
- Consider a surgical solution.
Find Lasting Relief Through Nerve Release
If you are unable to find relief from piriformis syndrome and you are having ongoing sleep issues as a result, it is time to talk with a doctor who can talk you through the possibility of a surgical solution.
Nerve decompression surgery can relieve the irritation of the sciatic nerve. That, in turn, leads to relief from the symptoms of piriformis syndrome—which, in turn, can lead to a good night’s sleep that is uninterrupted by pain, numbness, or tingling sensations.
Don’t Sleep on Getting the Help You Need. Contact Our Nerve Pain Specialist Today.
Better rest and less discomfort are both possible through nerve decompression surgery. Dr. Eric H. Williams has the experience and expertise to provide the quality of care you deserve. If you are tossing and turning at night due to piriformis syndrome, it is time to contact our offices and get on a path to lasting relief.